Sunday, March 5, 2017

Life After BTMD: Where Do I Go From Here?

Good afternoon visitors!

I know I left everyone high and dry. My last post was in October before I "disappeared" from my blog. Well, there are a couple of reasons for that. First, I was overwhelmed by the program. It was hard to find the time to post in between studying. Second, I did not pass. I needed some time away to process my emotions and figure out what I was going to do next.

That's the question you all may have right now. Plain and simple, as illustrated above, I missed the target. In order to pass BTMD, I had to achieve an average of 70% with no less than a 65% in each of the classes. I did not accomplish that. The course that did me in was Neuroanatomy. The professor was a novice who really needs lessons on how to teach a medical school course. While he is very knowledgeable in the subject, it was a challenge to get him to explain the concepts to  you. If you find any BTMD student from the Fall 2016 semester, I can guarantee you that they will ALL say that we taught ourselves the subject. Some taught themselves better than others. Unfortunately, I didn't do that well at teaching myself neuroanatomy. I failed.

In the end, I lost $12,000 of money that I worked very hard to earn. I guess the bright side of it all is that I got a taste of what medical school will be like. I also learned a lot of physiology, biophysics, and biochemistry. Dr. Lotocki and Dr. Smith were both wonderful professors. Their exams were hard but doable. I did the BRS practice questions and rewatched the lectures along with the slides to take good notes. The knowledge I gained from these courses will surely work to my advantage when I begin medical school someday.

The answer to this question is that my journey continues. I have applied to American University of the Caribbean (AUC), Saba University, Medical University of the Americas (MUA), and St. Matthew's University. I am on the borderline about applying to Ross University but I just might do it. I am praying that AUC and/or Saba University accepts me. Those are my top 2 choices. What will it ultimately be though? Doctor from AUC? Saba? MUA? St. Matthew's? Ross? We'll see what happens!




No comments:

Post a Comment